(This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure policy here.)
A perfect primer is very crucial before you start makeup. If you have oily skin and are using a regular primer that might not suit your skin can cause skin irritation or diseases so far. Instead of protecting your skin, it causes damage.
Is your skin oily?
And are you looking for a sweat-proof primer that will suit you?
As a base of makeup, primer turns your skin smooth and clear. It creates a layer between skin and makeup to protect you from direct contact with makeup ingredients. Some primers are best for dry skin, and some are for oily skin. So you have to choose the best one regarding your skin type.
In this article, we have shortlisted and reviewed the 5 best sweat-proof primers for oily skin that will suit you if your skin sweats a lot.
Things To Know Before Proceed
Before we proceed, we would like to say that mostly the primers moisturise our skin to set the makeup properly. So, if you have oily skin that always remains sweaty, you should do two things-
First, use a primer with less moisture.
Then, use a makeup setting spray after doing makeup.
Quick Select – Want To Save Time?
Are you in a hurry? If you don’t have time to go through the whole article, this quick selection of “the 5 best sweat proof primer for oily skin” will make you choose the best one for you.
- Best for 3-in-1 (refiner, primer, alone) usage, the Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer.
- Best for 12 hours a day long-lasting, the BECCA – Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector.
- Best for low price, the e.l.f. Hydrating Face Primer.
- Best for the smooth-looking face skin, the TULA Skin Care Brighten Up Smoothing Primer Gel.
- Best for oily skin, the Jane Iredale Smooth Affair Oily Skin Facial Primer.
In-Depth Reviews Of The 5 Best Sweat-Proof Primer For Oily Skin
1. Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer
Looking for a primer to hide your skin pores and reduce the shine? For oily skin – pores and shining provide quite an unnatural look. Now, to solve this problem, there is Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer.
It instantly absorbs 40%-50% oil from your face. And makes your face skin smooth to set the makeup perfectly. Moreover, this sweat-proof primer turns your look flawless, either oily or combination (oily+dry) skin.
Its Red Clover Extract helps to get a natural glow on your face even without makeup. Besides, to remove the skin lines, Salicylic acid helps a lot. And the tea tree oil makes this primer one of the best for oily skin to reduce oil production.
Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer has 3 in 1 use.
- Use it every morning after applying the moisturiser to refine the look of skin pores and red lines.
- Use it as a base primer before makeup to instantly absorb skin oil, erase the shine, and re-apply over the makeup throughout the day if necessary.
- Use it alone without post makeup for a natural look.
- 3-in-1 use
- infused with tea tree oil, flaxseed
- No – parabens, sulfates & phthalates
- blur large pores, fill in fine lines and refine skin texture
- flawless finish with or without makeup
- Last for 5-6 hours long. But after applying the Makeup Setting Spray, it turns effective.
- Not for dry skin.
2. BECCA – Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
If you have oily skin and not enough time to do complete makeup, BECCA – Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector is an excellent option for you. It controls the oil of the skin for 10-12 hours. Moreover, you can use it alone or before or after foundation.
This primer instantly tightens sagging skin and allows a smooth and matte surface throughout the day. In addition, its silicon-free formula stops oil production on the face, reduces the excess shine, and hides pores.
If your skin turns oily in summer and dry in winter, you may go for it. This oil-free, alcohol-free, fragrance-free, lightweight primer perfectly blends on any skin.
Take a pea-sized amount of primer cream on the palm, rub it and pat onto the specific areas of concern like the T-zone of the face or oily areas.
Use it alone for a natural glow on skin or before/after foundation to reduce shine and control sweat. Besides, use it both as a primer or to touch up throughout the day.
- 10-12 hours day long-lasting
- Controls oil efficiently
- Silicon free formula to blur the skin pores
- Smooth and Matte finish
- Not for dry skin
- Quite tough to use
3. e.l.f. Hydrating Face Primer
On a low budget, if you want a primer that will stop producing oil for around 5-6 hours, e.l.f. Hydrating Face Primer can be the right choice. This primer helps to instantly revive your skin by providing essential vitamins A, C, and E to your face. So you can use it as a skincare product as well.
Moreover, it allows you to hydrate your skin in all seasons. For all skins, this primer responds accordingly. So before you apply makeup, use this primer as a base to hide the large/tiny skin holes and fine lines.
In addition, this primer is Cruelty-free and 100% free from Parabens, Nonylphenol, Phthalates, Triclosan, Ethoxylates, Hydroquinone, and Triclocarban. That’s how it improves your skin tone with a natural glow and provides a matte finish.
Simply apply it to your face and dry it before makeup. Try not to use it after makeup because it is a base primer to turn your face ready to apply makeup.
- Low Price
- Hydrate and smooth the skin
- Hide pores and fine lines
- Completely vegan
- Infused with grape, vitamins A, C, E
- It lasts for 2-3 hours on extremely oily skin. But, applying the makeup setting spray after using the makeup can be a relief.
- Have a low greasy smell which removes after applying makeup.
4. TULA Skin Care Brighten Up Smoothing Primer Gel
For oily and blemish-prone type skin, silicon-free and non-comedogenic primers are ideal. The TULA Skin Care Brighten Up Smoothing Primer Gel is excellent if your skin is that type.
It brightens the skin first and then makes the surface smooth to apply makeup. The best thing about being non-comedogenic, it won’t clog the pores of your skin.
Moreover, its probiotic formula aids in protecting against the free radical damage of skin cells and balances the skin’s pH. Yuzu and Willowherb, the other ingredients, respectively brighten the skin and calm the blemish-prone skin.
Smoothly massage a dime-sized amount of cream over moisturised and clean skin.
Use it regularly before applying the makeup to make the surface smooth.
- Grips makeup
- Non-comedogenic formula won’t clog pores
- Helps to brighten skin and control oil
- Smooths skin surface
- Silicone-free probiotic formula to balance skin
- Worry-free 30 days return policy
- Not for after makeup
- May Cause irritation for sensitive skin
5. Jane Iredale Smooth Affair Oily Skin Facial Primer
Looking for a dedicated oil control face primer with complete prior makeup benefits? Jane Iredale Smooth Affair Oily Skin Facial Primer is a premium skincare product for your oily skin.
It minimises the shine and hides pores and fine lines to turn a smooth, matte finish. It instantly locks the moisture production in the skin for an even skin tone for oily skin.
Moreover, it is vegan, oil-free, non-comedogenic, synthetic fragrances, and preservatives-free. Other ingredients like Green Tea Leaf Extract aid soothe blemishes, and Coconut Alkanes improve the skin texture and provide a matte finish.
Take a pea-sized amount of cream on the palm and massage it all over your face and neck. Use it before applying makeup to the face.
- Has anti-aging skin benefits
- Prevents excess sweating
- Smoothes and nourishes the skin
- Hide skin pores and wrinkles
- Vegan and non-comedogenic
- No Mineral Oil
- Quite Expensive
- Not for after makeup day touch up
Tips and Considerable Factors To Use A Primer On Oily Skin
To apply a primer, you need to know some important and considerable factors and tips that will help you set your makeup properly. Otherwise, it may become faulty.
Know Your Skin
- An Oily skin that produces an excess of sebum on the skin. It turns skin shiny and feels quite greasy. You can feel the oily sweating, especially throughout the T-Zone (forehead, nose, and chin) and neck.
- A Dry skin that is usually dull and may turn flaky or rough. It feels the skin tight and less elastic. Moreover, sometimes in winter dry skin gets cracked.
- A Normal skin that is quite balanced and feels neither oily nor dry.
- A Combination type skin that includes areas that remain dry as well as oily. The cheeks area is either dry or normal, and the T-Zone generally stays oily.
Choose The Best Primer
It’s time to choose the best primer that will fit your skin. Once you know the type of your skin, then you should go for it. However, this article is about the best primers for oily skin, which are also sweat-proof.
In addition, for dry skin, natural skin, and combination skin, there are other dedicated primers.
Contact A Dermatologist Or Skin Specialist
If you have any issues with your skin, contact a dermatologist or skincare specialist. Because, they can understand your skin type more profoundly and suggest you which kinds of skincare products you should buy.
In this regard, our suggested products in this post are clinically proven and best for oily skin.
Follow The Product Instructions
When buying a primer, you are supposed to have an instruction guide in the box. You should go through it. From the instruction paper, you will know about the ingredients and the applicable skin types.
As directed in the instruction manual, use the primer accordingly to make it effective. But before you apply, always wash your face and dry it with clean facial tissues.
Is Primer Good For Oily Skin?
Yes, but not a regular one. You will need a sweat-proof primer for oily skin that absorbs the skin’s oil and controls it. Moreover, such primers also should be shine-free. A good quality primer helps to hide the skin pore and makes the surface smooth to apply makeup efficiently.
Can I Use A Makeup Setting Spray Instead Of Primer?
The Makeup Setting Spray and Primer are both different. Primer is the base to set the skin’s surface to apply makeup. But, Makeup Setting Spray is for finishing touch to lock your makeup for long-lasting. For Dry skin, you can use a setting spray after the makeup. But for oily skin, you should use a Primer first to control the oil and make the surface smooth to apply the makeup. And then, you may apply the Makeup Setting Spray.
Hopefully, this article will help you choose the best sweat-proof primer for your oily skin. We have categorically selected each of them based on customer and professional reviews.
So, you may choose one among them regarding your skin type and preference. Moreover, don’t forget to let us know about your experience with our suggested primers. Have a nice day.
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a health care professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.
[…] oily skin, you will need a sweat-proof primer that will produce less moisture and control the oil of the […]
[…] Relationship between sunscreen and sweat is very old. SPF or sunscreen smooths the skin’s surface, causing the drips to accumulate and […]