(This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure policy here.)
Fighting against acne scars is harder than acne. Many people use makeup as the main weapon to battle against acne scars daily before going to their workplaces. It helps hide the acne scars and keep them quiet for a few hours. But some questions come to mind: Is makeup on acne scars right? Or does makeup make acne scars look worse?
Yes, applying heavy makeup like foundation or too much concealment worsens your acne scars and irritates the skin. Makeup increases the scratching, transfers bacteria into the face, and creates inflammation. Finally, the result is more acne scars again.
Here we will speak out about how makeup makes acne scars look worse with some makeup tips and solutions to this issue?
Stay with us and discover more tricks to battle against acne scars!
What Causes Acne Scars?
Dr. Ross says, “Acne scars are the result of inflammation. So, it is better not to apply anything on acne scar skin that can enhance it. It means no picking, scratching, popping, and squeezing pimples which enhance the risk of acne scarring.”
Yes, acne scars are the effect of inflamed blemishes. It occurs when the follicle or skin pores enlarge with excess oil and bacteria. The skin pore swells, reasoning a crack in the follicle barrier.
Most acne scars are caused by an inflamed lesion like papule or pustule, which can extend into the deepest layers of skin. It can damage the strong tissues and encourage the skin to produce an acne scar.
Inflammation is the main gauge of acne scars improvement. The more the inflammation, the more acne scarring arises. The deeper breakouts take a longer time to heal instead of decreasing the chance of acne scarring.
A sad matter about acne scars is that treating scars is very difficult than removing acne. Some harmless habits like scratching or popping can gradually worsen the scarring or create more acne.
Why Does Makeup Make Acne Scars Look Worse?
Are you struggling with why makeup makes acne scars look worse? Here are makeup mistakes responsible for looking much worse at your acne scars.
1. Face Washing Mistakes
Your acne scars can get worse from the starting step of makeup, like some face-washing mistakes. Though washcloths or other facial cleansing brushes feel like they clean the pores deeply, the wrong way, they can be much harsh.
According to Dr. Lee, “if you use the wrong face washcloths or apply facial too much, they can cause irritation and some bacterial infections on the skin that leads to acne scars.” So, you must avoid face-washing mistakes carefully!
2. Use Unclean Makeup Tools
Dr. Papantonious, “clean your makeup tools using alcohol before and after each to skip spreading bacteria that cause inflammation. Try to use tissue paper as a blockade between tools and skin.”
Here you can use baby shampoo or regular shampoo to wash the makeup tools. And remember, use the brushes and other kits after drying properly.
3. Wear Heavy Makeup
It is wrong to cover up the stains by wearing heavy makeup. They can irritate your skin and can create more acne scars.
According to Dr. Lee, “some things to hide acne scars can affect a vicious cycle.” Dr. also suggests, “Select oil-free and non-comedogentic options so that the skin doesn’t feel fuel to the fire.” Go with some correct makeup rules for acne scars.
4. Not Apply Primer
If you don’t apply primer before starting your makeup, the whole process will ruin, and your acne scars will look worse.
Primer can make a smooth canvas on the skin and performs better to fill in bumpy acne scars, dark circles, large pores, fine lines, and even wrinkles.
A soft and light-feeling primer helps keep your makeup in the right place the whole day. As a bonus, it offers vitamin E and nourishes your skin which doesn’t affect the scars.
5. Using Unfitted Products
Choosing an unfitted foundation without knowing your skin type will make the acne scars look much worse. So know your skin type and choose the right product first.
· If your skin is dry, choose a foundation that offers standard buildable coverage, proper sun protection, and color corrections. It can highlight the acne scars proficiently.
· If your skin is oily, choose a weightless and oil-control foundation. It can minimize the appearance of redness and large pores. The oil-control foundation allows you to wear it for about 16-hours and say bye-bye to your oily skin and acne scars.
6. Skipping Color Corrector
If you avoid color correctors before using your foundation, the skin spots and scars worsen after full makeup. The color correctors perform best to protect unwanted skin tones from acne scars or dark spots.
7. Rubbing The Foundation
Rubbing your selected foundation on the issues makes your acne scars look worse. Use a clean makeup brush to apply the foundation with a smooth and pressing motion. As a result, the product melts onto your skin and fills the scars deeply.
8. Skipping Setting Spray
Using setting powder instead of spray at the end of your makeup is also a cause of worse-looking acne scars. The setting powder can heighten the texture of your acne instead of covering or hiding it. In contrast, setting spray will lock the foundation at the right place and protect the scars for full time.
How To Discover If Makeup Could Be Causing Your Acne?
Some cosmetics are responsible for your acne, known as acne cosmetica. Acne cosmetica occurs when the pores are clogged by heavy makeup, and the makeup ingredients irritate your skin.
When makeup is the worst offender, it can be associated with any skin products on the face, like foundation or hair products. If you have no experience with the source of breakouts, you can use those products without being aware of them. So, how can you identify the acne cosmetic?
Well, it won’t be difficult if you know some key symptoms:
- Small rash or itchy such as bumps on your face.
- Blackheads are the most common in the surrounding of the face, like cheeks, chin, or foreheads.
- Confined to small area breakouts of the face where you apply some specific products. It can be where you use blush or bronzers around your mouth or where you use lip balm or lipsticks.
- Breakouts in the hairline can happen because of your hair products
This type of acne takes time to discover which makeup items might be reasoning the irritation.
So, it is essential to know exactly which ingredients should be avoided though it is pretty tricky.
You can do it yourself, trying to understand which makeup products are the culprits of your acne.
How Do You Make Acne Scars Less Noticeable With Makeup?
To boost confidence, you can safely use makeup to make your acne scars less noticeable. Here we will show you how to cover the dark spots or acne scars using cosmetics in an easy and non-cakey way.
1. Prepare your skin by moisturizing or hydrating with primer
2. Start applying the green shade concealer on all the scars to squeeze the red scarring! Use a small makeup brush to spread the color properly. It will cancel out all redness and discoloration and cover-up all scars.
3. Then go to the foundation concealer. Apply the foundation to the green shades and use a brush to blend them into your scarring areas. Blend the foundation with patting motions to push it into the skin.
Tips: Use how much you need to cover the gray spots. Don’t try to blend the foundation all over your face without scars.
4. After concealing the scars areas, now you should use foundation depending on your skin texture. It will cover your full face. You can mix two foundations if you want. Use your regular makeup brush or beauty blender to blend the foundation.
5. Apply some concealer under your eyes and check. then blend them smoothly using a beauty blender
6. And now apply cream contouring the same concealer, which can be darker. Apply it a little bit on baseline or face borders.
7. After covering it up, go for sweep powder and apply it using a soft brush and pretty swirling motions. It also helps to hide the acne scars mostly.
8. And as the final touch, spray your beautiful setting from the right distance so that the makeup is set up properly and doesn’t mess up after a long time. If you like to use a highlighter, you can apply it as you desire. That’s it
Makeup Tips For Acne-Prone Skin
Here are some tips to protect your acne-prone skin from breakouts:
· Choose your makeup very carefully. To skip defective products, go through the labels of the makeup items ideal for acne skin.
· Choose matte or semi-matte foundation instead of dewy or satin. Or pick the foundation that is particularly provided for acne-prone and oily skin.
· Wash your face twice a day using a mild and oil-free cleanser. Dermatologists suggest that you wash your clothes after waking up and before bed. Wash your cleaner with lukewarm water.
· Clean your face makeup and eye makeup before going to bed. Don’t rub or use scrubbing to wash your acne skin.
· Clean your makeup brushes and beauty blenders in a week or a couple of days. Don’t allow anyone to use your beauty kits or don’t try others you also.
· Expert dermatologists suggest treating your acne skin and maintaining a routine. And must use the products that are safe and more effective for acne-prone skin like Benzoly peroxide, Saliclyic acid, or adapalene.
· Change your makeup routine based on your cycle. Or take a short break from your makeup for a week. It’ll help you to know which products are the reason for breakouts.
· Skipping makeup for a few days will give your skin time to breathe. Dr. Laughlin says spending a few days without makeup helps the pores to heal faster, even a little bit.
Can You Put Makeup On Acne Scars?
Yes, makeup is a strong weapon to cover your acne scars, and you can put on makeup on your acne scars skin. It not only makes your eyes look brighter but also makes your lips fuller. It can also hide your red blemishes or acne scarring within a second.
Why Do My Acne Scars Look Worse Some Days?
Getting the wrong makeup or skincare products, improper acne treatments, or the wrong skin care routine can make your acne scars look worse on some days.
How Long Does It Take For Acne Scars To Fade?
If you have dark or brownish spots on your skin, it will take more than 1-year to fade or remove. It mainly depends on your treatment, daily skincare routine, and some useful lifestyle for acne.
When your acne scars are very frustrating, just follow the tips above. Discover the best solution to fight your acne or acne scars off from getting worse and enjoy your whole day without acne scars.
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a health care professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.